Breaking the Mold
Photo: Gokhan Okur
Excess mold can become a health issue in any season. Here are some steps you can take to protect yourself and your family from this persistent fungus:
1. Keep indoor humidity below 50 percent. Use air conditioners in warm weather.
2. Install and use exhaust fans in bathrooms and the kitchen.
3. Don’t lay carpet in kitchens or bathrooms. Wallpaper may be a bad idea in damp climates.
4. Be sure that sprinkler spray doesn’t hit your house. Remove dead leaves and outside debris. Mold thrives in piles of leaves.
5. If you use a humidifier in the winter, clean and disinfect it frequently.
6. Be sure all leaks are repaired and all appliances properly vented.
UC Berkeley Wellness Letter
Respond to this article
Reprinted with permission from
, November/December 2005.
Copyright © 2006 by
. All rights reserved. Use of this material is subject to
Login / Customize