If the next time you sit down with your significant other at a candlelight dinner and find your eyes welling with tears, it may not be the magic of the moment. Most candles are made of paraffin, a petroleum by-product classified as a petrochemical. They can contain eleven different toxins—two of them known carcinogens. Breathing in these burning toxins may be triggering an allergic reaction.
To truly enjoy the moment, try using candles made from soy wax with cotton, lead-free wicks. Soy wax is toxin- and carcinogen-free and burns longer and cleaner than its paraffin cousin.
Suggested by Stephen Sinatra, M.D.
Respond to this article ______________________________