Home > Archives > Staying Young >
.
Expect the Best
.
Photo: Loretta Humble
A positive attitude about aging can help you embrace health in the years to come.

According to research, older people who expect their health to decline with age may be less likely to try to stay physically active. This lack of exercise may in turn set the stage for illness and decreased energy. Look forward to the years ahead and plan on being active, no matter what your age, to promote health and vitality.

Only about 60 percent of people 65 and older engage in at least 30 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity per week. The remaining 40 percent engage in less than 30 minutes of physical activity per week, an amount far less than the minimum amount recommended for good health. In a study, researchers discovered that older adults who expect their health to decline during their later years were much less likely to be physically active compared to people who had high expectations for their health in the years ahead. Appreciating the positive aspects of aging, such as increased wisdom and experience, may help you view growing older in a more positive light. More importantly, make an effort to stay active regardless of your age, to help preserve your health and mobility.

Journal of General Internal Medicine 2005 Oct;20(10):911-915.

Respond to this article
______________________________

Reprinted with persmission from Canadian Adventist Messenger, February 2006. Copyright © 2006 by GraceNotes. All rights reserved. Use of this material is subject to usage guidelines.


SiteMap. Powered by SimpleUpdates.com © 2002-2016. User Login / Customize.