Studies have long linked a mother’s and daughter’s food preferences. Mom’s unhealthy eating habits and poor body image can negatively impact her daughter’s perspective on eating and weight. According to Lona Sandon, a registered dietitian at UT Southwestern Medical Center, this can cause low self-esteem or endanger the health of a young girl.
Of course, the reverse is also true. To become the influential mom your daughter needs you to be, consider these six important tips.
1. Be a positive role model by eating more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
2. Create a family mealtime and do not discuss weight at the table.
3. Exercise together and separately.
4. Avoid using food as a punishment or reward.
5. Discuss privately with your doctor any negative thoughts about your or your child’s body.
6. Compliment children on qualities other than their appearance.
Respond to this article